Learning About The World: Making Flags with Magna-Tiles®
Tour the world without leaving the playroom using Magna-Tiles® and Magna-Qubix® building sets. Whether you’re celebrating Flag Day or International Flag Week, your magnetic building toys can be just the tools needed to construct flags from around the globe that spark meaningful discussions about history, diversity, and more.
Recreate Flags from Around the Globe
Use your favorite magnetic blocks to create flags that represent nations across the globe and discover a whole world of educational opportunities. The journey to each country during playtime can take you from your activity table to the kitchen, library, and beyond. Flag-building activities for kids provide gateways to learning about cultures, languages, and traditions.
Cook food from each country “visited,” learn a few words from another language, and find inspiration from famous people. Magna-Tiles® and Magna-Qubix® building sets can make learning about other cultures a memorable, hands-on experience for all. Here are some other ways to build onto your activity:
- Math: Use foreign currency as a tool to strengthen money skills
- Science: Explore climate, wildlife, conservation, and other concepts
- History: Learn from past events and how they’ve impacted the world today
- Art: Dive into films, sculptures, music, and other art forms from around the world
- Reading: Read books and short stories by international authors
- Language Arts: Write about a famous person, place, or event
- Physical Education: Play a sport that’s celebrated in another country
Introduce American History
Constructing the American flag using your magnetic tiles is a great place to start learning about American history. Simple building activities appeal to young learners, and the resulting discussions can cover broader topics more suitable for older children. After building your flag and discussing what the stars and stripes represent, you can dive into other topics, such as:
- How the American flag has changed
- The Pledge of Allegiance
- S. Constitution
- Branches of the U.S. government
- Presidents past and present
Why stop with the American flag? You can also use magnetic shapes to build your state’s flag. Individual state flags can spark conversations about a variety of topics, including:
- Finding your state on the map
- When/how your state entered the Union
- Where your capital city is located
- State-specific historic events
Whether you’re deep into your homeschool curriculum or casually introducing concepts to your littles, Magna-Tiles® and Magna-Qubix® are the perfect tools for interactive, hands-on learning projects.
Turn Young Learners into Future Leaders
When it’s time for creative play, encourage your little ones to create their own flags for imaginary countries. See what colors they’ll use, which symbols have the most meaning, and what the imaginary people of their country would celebrate as a nation. With a little imagination, the future leaders in your house can explore the meaning of countries beyond the borders of your map.
Make Room for More Projects with Magna-Tiles®
Travel through playtime in a fun, engaging way. View our lesson plans and activity downloads to bring education to your favorite play and learning places, and use Magna-Tiles® Play Book: Inspiring Creativity for fresh takes on projects for kids of all ages.
We love seeing your ideas — share them with us on social media with #magnatiles for a chance to be featured on our page! For more information about our magnetic building toys, reach out to us today.